Sometimes if I don´t know what to do, the first thing that comes to mind is to open my fridge and ask the famous question: „My fridge, my refrigerator in the hall, is there anything to eat at all?“ Maybe it´s just an attempt to procrastinate, but I consult my fridge a lot. It´s like a look into a crystal ball: You don´t know yet what´s to come, but afterwards you´re a little wiser (at least if you want to know what your dinner will be likeJ). There is not always an answer to that question, especially if there are only leftovers in the fridge. But I pay close attention to always have some fresh vegetables on stock for spontaneous cooking frenzies. And recently I had one of those. I had a craving for rice and eggplant and so was born the idea to prepare some sushi inspired rolls. The apricot sauce adds some color and a fruity touch to it. So don´t forget to consult your dear fridge from time to time, I´m sure it will be most grateful!
Active time: 1 hour
· 1 onion
· 4 tablespoon oil
· 125 g long grain rice
· 50 g almonds
· 100 g deep-frozen peas
· 2 zucchinis
· 1 eggplant
· 2-3 carrots
· 1 teaspoon vegetable stock
· ½ can apricots
· 12 skewers
· 2 tablespoons ricotta
· 1 mozzarella
· 2 tablespoons parmesan
1. Saute onion in a tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan until golden brown. Sweat rice and almonds, add water (300 ml), bring to boiling and let it simmer partially covered for 30 minutes on lower heat, add peas 5 minutes before the end.
2. Peel zucchini and eggplant; cut zucchini lengthwise into 24 1/8 inch thick slices, eggplant into 12. Blanch zucchini 1 minute in saltwater, pour it off and let it drain. Put eggplant on paper towel, add salt and let it infuse.
3. Combine ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan and parsley in a bowl; mix well. Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons on one side of each slice of eggplant, put zucchini slices overlapping on the sides. Place 1 tablespoon rice on the slices and roll up. Fix with skewers. Prepare 12 rolls.
4. Saute rolls in 3 tablespoons of the oil for 5 minutes.
5. Extra tip if you like it fruity: Peel carrots and dice. Boil up water, add vegetable stock and carrots. Cook for 10 minutes. Dice 2 apricot halves. Purée the rest of the apricots and 3 tablespoons of juice with the carrots using a blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the diced apricots.
6. Spoon sauce over rolls and garnish with chopped parsley, rocket and cherry tomatoes, if you wish.
Per serving (what you absolutely need to know while sinning):
360 calories, 17 g fat, 42 g carbohydrates, 9 g protein
Bon appétit and happy sinning,
Your Kitchen Fairy